- Distance Ed
- School Board
- Event Calendar
I Can Do Anything Charter High School in Reno, NV provides a unique and flexible educational opportunity for Northern Nevada students. With a warm and nurturing environment, ICDA's students have been able to experience educational success and personal growth…many of them for the first time in a long time.
Most of our youth thrive in the school because of small class sizes, which allows them to get the kind of personalized attention they deserve, and often need. Formed by a team of teachers, administrators and community leaders in 1998, ICDA has emerged as one of the great success stories in Nevada's early history of charter schools.
As Nevada's first charter school, ICDA's best practices have become a standard of excellence. ICDA provides an environment that encourages students to believe in themselves and individually helps to guide them to reach their goals.
This is a school where students, teachers and administrators work closely together as a team to build character and self-esteem while providing for an excellent education. Much attention goes into maintaining a positive attitude and healthy learning environment at ICDA. Many students who are challenged with fitting in at a traditional school setting, find ICDA to offer a refreshing and often life-changing difference.
Our mission is to instill
Integrity Character Dedication Achievement
Through innovative education
We teach the power of knowledge and the power of hope
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is ICDA tuition-free?
A: Yes, ICDA is a tuition-free high school. Some lab fees for certain classes may apply. There is a one-time, refundable $25 book deposit fee at first-time registration.
Q: Is ICDA a public school?
A: Yes, ICDA is a public high school, fully accredited by the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges. ICDA is the first charter school in the state of Nevada, and is sponsored by Washoe County School District.
Q: What kinds of kids go to ICDA?
A: All kinds. Many of our students who felt challenged with fitting in, and may have fallen through the cracks in the traditional school setting, find that ICDA offers a refreshing and often life-changing difference. The diversity of ICDA kids’ talents is amazing – academics, in the arts, leadership skills, compassion and community service… For some kids, personal discovery of their own hidden talents is just around the corner!
Q: Is there transportation to ICDA?
A: ICDA does not provide school-bus transportation. Many of our students use Citifare public transportation. Students are allowed to drive their own vehicles to school as long as they adhere to the guidelines as outlined in the Parent/Student Handbook.
Q: What makes ICDA different from traditional high schools?
- Small, personalized classes. Classroom student-to-teacher ratio averages 18:1
- Students usually take only four classes per nine-week block. Longer class periods mean less homework and a better understanding of the subject matter
- Flexible schedules; ICDA offers regular, hybrid, and distance education classes
- Arts Center focuses on: Dance, Media, Photography and Visual arts
- Zero-tolerance for alcohol, drugs, and violence; ICDA is a safe place
- Performing Arts
- Visual Arts
- Digital Media Arts
Led by Marty Lewis, the ICDA performing arts program offers a unique opportunity for students to explore and expand their performing arts creativity. Courses include instruction in a variety of dance forms and styles that culminate in award-winning performances.
2014 ICDA Graduation Performance Clip
2010 Open House Performance Clip
Under the direction of teacher Dawn Gilmore, the ICDA Charter High School visual arts department develops students into critical thinkers and creators. All Visual Arts projects are grounded in state and national standards providing students with the foundations required to enter art careers and colleges confidently. ICDA students will explore the world art through history, theory, academics, community, and careers toward an increased development of individualized creative style.
Digital Media Arts
Julian Dahl directs ICDA's digital media arts department using industry-standard hardware and software. Digital arts students produce creative and innovative graphic works for a variety of purposes and outputs including short films, commercials, PSA’s and documentaries. Areas of study in the program include the understanding of the industry history, terminology, color, design principles, typography and ethical and legal issues related to graphic designs. Emphasis is placed on layout design and the creation and manipulation of graphics.
"Code Dead" Video Production
- Logon to ICDA Distance Ed
- Enrollment Procedure
ICDA Distance Education
Tuition-Free Online High School Distance Education Program
The most flexible distance education program offered in Nevada designed to fit individual needs
- Flexible scheduling: Start and complete courses on your time schedule
- Accelerate credit: Most courses can be completed in 40 hours or less
- Available on-line 24/7 from any computer with Internet access
- You choose your school hours
- Move through courses at your own pace
- Work on one-to-four courses at a time
- All core courses plus electives are available online
Our State of Nevada accredited curriculum allows students to:
- Challenge courses
- Test out of lessons in which they already have competency
- Master each topic
Get the ICDAdvantage: All distance ed students are required to meet with theirteacher once a week or as often as needed to ensure their success.
- All of our teachers are on site, at the ICDA Main Campus in Reno
- We are available to tutor, encourage, and get to know our students!
- Distance ed students may participate in all school events including prom and our spectacular Graduation Ceremony at the Grand Sierra Resort Grand Theatre
“HYBRID” student options:
- Take some courses at home, and any course of your choice at school such as Dance, Media Arts, Math Proficiency Prep, Fine Arts
- Earn additional credit for having a job, doing community service, or participating in sports/exercise programs
We specialize in fitting the program to the student’s needs
Our goal is student success!
- Student must have access to computer with Internet connection
- Complete enrollment form for ICDA Charter High School
- Student and Parent/Guardian meet with Pam Butters, director of distance education, or ICDA's counselor for transcript evaluation.
- We require that a student has completed five high school credits to be eligible for the Distance Program
- Special circumstances may support Freshman eligibility
- Student demonstrates motivation and the skill level to work independently at home
- Preference is given to students with Junior or Senior status
- Complete Plan of Study with Director/Counselor
- Parent or Mentor and Student attend orientation and sign the Accepted Practices Acknowledgement
- There is a $50 deposit for the program, which is fully refundable when student successfully completes the program
A+ Program Director
Computer Literacy, Information Technology
Dawn D. Gilmore
Dean of Accountability and Assessment
Art, advance art, woodwork, computer graphics, textiles, sewing, self portraits, fibers, home decor, global & cultural arts, pastels, art appreciation
Performing Arts Teacher & Choreographer
Carol M.White, ED.D
Executive Administrative Assistant
Registrar and Secretary
Special Education Case Manager
Library Media Assistant/Student Behavior Monitor
Attendance clerk and Receptionist
Nutrition Services, Custodian
- Governing Board Members
- Meeting Agendas & Minutes
- Board Meeting Information
ICDA School Board
WILLIAM PENN - Board President
Member since: 06/25/2012
Quality Assurance Rep: ClearCapital.com, Inc.
STACI GRIFFUS - Vice President
Member since: 6/12/2013
Social Worker: Washoe County
REVA RINDY - Secretary Treasurer
Member since: 5/23/2013
Educator – Nevada Connections Accademy
KATHIE J. SMITH - Member (Parent)
Member since: 3/18/2009
Assistant Principal: Reed High School
BARBARA LAND -Member
Member since: 08/17/2011
Retired Educator– UNR
LYNN H. GILBERT - Member
Member since: 11/13/2013
Teacher: Grace Warner Elementary
Public School Board Meeting Agendas & Minutes
|4:30 p.m||ICDA Library *||03/19/14||Agenda||Pending|
|4:00 p.m||ICDA Library *||02/19/14||Agenda||Pending|
|4:00 p.m||ICDA Library||11/13/13||Agenda||Minutes|
|4:00 p.m||Teleconference||09/09/13||Emergency Meeting||Minutes|
|4:00 p.m||ICDA Library||08/28/13||Agenda||Minutes|
|4:00 p.m||ICDA Library||07/31/13||Agenda||Minutes|
|9:00 a.m||ICDA Library||06/28/13||Board Retreat Agenda||Minutes|
|5:30 p.m||ICDA Library||06/12/13||Agenda||Minutes|
|5:30 p.m||Jill E. Wells Center for the Arts||05/23/13||Agenda||Minutes|
|5:30 p.m||Jill E. Wells Center for the Arts||05/13/13||Agenda||Minutes|
|5:30 p.m||ICDA Library||04/23/13||Agenda||Minutes|
|5:30 p.m||ICDA Library||02/20/13||Agenda||Minutes|
|5:30 p.m||Jill E. Wells Center for the Arts||01/16/13||Agenda||Minutes|
|5:30 p.m.||Jill E. Wells Center for the Arts||11/07/12||Agenda||Minutes|
|5:30 p.m.||Jill E. Wells Center for the Arts||10/17/12||Agenda||Minutes|
|5:30 p.m.||Jill E. Wells Center for the Arts||09/19/12||Agenda||Minutes|
|4:30 p.m.||ICDA Library||08/29/12||Agenda||Minutes|
|5:30 p.m.||ICDA Library||06/25/12||Agenda||Minutes|
|5:30 p.m.||ICDA Library||05/14/12||Agenda||Minutes|
Meeting Dates for School Year 2013 – 2014
|June 28, 2013 (Board retreat)||January 15, 2014|
|July 31, 2013||February 19, 2014|
|August 21, 2013||March 19, 2014|
|September 18, 2013||April 16, 2014|
|October 23, 2013||May 21, 2014 (Annual Meeting)|
|November 20, 2013||June 25, 2014|
|December 11, 2013|
Meetings are held the third Wednesday of each month. A quorum (majority) of board members must be present to conduct a meeting. In rare instances, telephone attendance may be accepted in order to reach a quorum. NRS 241.030(4)
Public Meeting Locations:
The ICDA Library is located at:
1195 Corporate Blvd., Suite C Reno, NV 89502
The Jill E. Wells Center for the Arts (formerly ICDA Arts Center) is located at:
5400 Equity Way Reno, NV 89502
Public Posting Locations:
- ICDA Charter High School
- The Children's Cabinet
- Reno Parks and Recreation Building
- Washoe County Library - Downtown
- ICDA Web Site - www.icdachs.com
MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC WHO ARE DISABLED AND REQUIRE SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS OR ASSISTANCE AT THE MEETING ARE REQUESTED TO NOTIFY TONI ARELL, BOARD ASSISTANT, IN WRITING AT 1195 CORPORATE BLVD, STE. C, RENO, NEVADA 89502 OR BY CALLING (775) 857-2114 PRIOR TO THE MEETING DATE.
ICDA Event Calendar
- Infinite Campus Portal
- Summer School
ICDA has teamed up with Infinite Campus to provide parents and students online grade book access and specific class information. Log in today.
El Portal de padres de Infinite Campus proporciona a las familias información en línea acerca de los logros de sus hijos. Inicie su sesión.
ICDA Summer School
Serving Washoe County and surrounding communities
|Summer School 13-14|
6/23/2014: Summer School Session One
High School Math Teacher for School Year 2014 - 2015
Other Classified Employee Positions
None at this time
Applicants must submit the following documents for review:
- Letter of Intent
- State of Nevada License (copy)
- Transcripts (copy)
Upon receipt, applicant may be contacted for an interview.
Please submit all documents to:
ICDA Charter High School
Personnel & Executive Assistant
1195 Corporate Blvd. Suite C
Reno NV 89502
ICDA is an equal opportunity employer
ICDA Charter High School
ICDA CHARTER HIGH SCHOOL DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST ANY PERSON ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, DISABILITY AND AGE, AND THAT THEY PROVIDE EQUAL ACCESS TO THE BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA AND OTHER DESIGNATED YOUTH GROUPS.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS REGARDING
THE NON-DISCRIMINATION POLICIES, CONTACT:
Dr. Carol M. White, Principal (775) 857-2114
Irene Rogerson, 504 Coordinator (775) 857-1544